Being honest?

Min Yong - Muncie, Indiana

It is very important to stop and question yourself occasionally. It helps you look around and think about things that you didn’t realize that you need to think about. Now, I want you to think about this. What is being honest?

I think the simplest example of this question for students like me can be cheating. As students, it seems like, for most of us, the most important thing in our lives is to get better grades. Because of this wrong perception, cheating happens. I don’t want to blame those who have done that, because I have done that before too. I stopped cheating at the age of fourteen when one of my friends told me that he would have never thought that I had cheated on tests. I didn’t cheat on many tests but still it was true that I had cheated and it was a very embarrassing moment and it made me think about my honesty. I made a commitment to myself that I would never cheat again and I have sincerely accomplished the commitment.

But suddenly one question came up to me and I had to take it very seriously. The question was; “Am I really being honest since I stopped cheating?” I couldn’t say yes right away. I had to ask myself what being honest truly is. It was hard and is still a hard question for me.

As I kept thinking about this question, I started to understand that there can be many answers depending on the individuals to that question.

I had to adapt this question into my own situation. And I finally could say yes. My translation of the question was, “Are you doing what you really want to do?” Since I was struggling for more than 4 years about what I should do or what I want to do, I stopped and began thinking about what I am doing now. Then I realized that I am actually pursuing my dream, a dream to work and help for North Korean who are being treated cruelly by the tyrant of the country. I am studying English and Architecture for that dream in Ball State university. It is certainly not easy and not always fun. But I really think I can smile if I think about what I am going to do in the future. It is being honest for me to find what I want and do or prepare for it. Now, I want to ask you what your idea of being honest is. It can be simple just like not cheating or very complicated question. But the most important thing is, are you being honest?

I hope you could say, “yes” or even, “I am getting there.” If not, don’t feel bad because as old saying goes, “It is better late than never!”