The Power of Communication

Lindsey - dalton, Georgia

I believe in the power of communication and the impact it can have on an individual’s life. Throughout my teenage years I constantly found myself struggling with what communication truly was. I quickly learned that it is not a friendly hello or goodbye, but it had much more power and meaning behind just an empty conversation. Whenever I am going through a hard time I find it difficult to communicate with others around me because I do not want to bring them down or feel like I am drowning them with my problems. One thing I have learned through the past years is that communication does not always have a negative impact. I realize that the people in my life that love me, such as my family and friends, want me to communicate with them.

I have just recently experienced the major impact the power of communication can have on someone’s life. My cousin Jake has been reaching out for somebody to talk to for many years. He is intelligent and never seemed really depressed, but there was a strain in his life because he felt like he did not have anyone to talk to. Although he comes from a very loving family, it is not always easy to communicate; it helps if someone else initiates the conversation. Unfortunately for Jake, no one ever saw the warning signs of what might lead to depression. One night my cousin felt that if he took his life it would be easier than the struggle of having to hold all his anxiety, pressure, and anger inside. No one in my family ever thought that Jake would try and commit suicide, but the reason no saw it coming was because we did not communicate. The benefits of communication are not only gaining wisdom from someone else’s input and knowledge, but it can also be a life saver. Jake is now working hard through his thoughts. Although I do not understand everything he is feeling, his suicide attempt was not successful, and I have very positive outlook on his future.

My parents have always told me that talking to them is the most important part of our relationship because they love me and want to keep me safe. While I never understood what they meant, I know now that communication within a family and between friends does not only build a stronger relationship but will continue the relationship for many years down the road. A quote by Marcel Proust explains the significance of communication when he says “we are healed by a suffering only by expressing it to the full.” The only way to sincerely move on from suffering in our life is by communicating our feeling and emotions. Every time I think about my cousin I know I do not ever want to reach the point he did, so I try to constantly talk about the experiences I have and struggles I may need help getting through. I believe in the power of communication, and I know I will always have the ones I love to help support me just as my family continues to help support my cousin Jake.