Father and Son: One

Mark - Pantego, Texas

I woke up sweating, hearing a voice call my name, “Mark.” It was my Dad’s voice. It was my Father’s voice but he was still in Connecticut.

He was in the hospital and I had just been to see him, but I had to return to work, as he wanted me to “act normal,” and not fret over him getting well. I knew better, however, and before I left his hospital room I gave him a kiss.

On the way out the door I started to tear as I knew that I wouldn’t see him again. Still, I honored his wishes and left him on his sick bed.

On the way back to Ohio from Connecticut I was thinking about my Dad and not paying attention to the speed limit and I saw red lights and was pulled over for speeding. The officer asked why I was crying and I told him that I had been thinking about my dying father and hadn’t realized that I was going too fast. I could tell that he was in disbelief as I must have been the first person with this excuse and I suggested that he call my father so he could confirm what I was saying but he declined and just told me to slow down.

But now I was back to work and it was 1 am and I heard him calling me. Laying awake most of the rest of the night I got a call early in the morning from my Mother saying that Dad had died in the night. The voice I heard was him calling to me as he passed. I told my Mother that I would drive back right away and she told me to get on a plane instead.

After the funeral, after we had buried him and after all the people had left I woke up the next morning and proceeded to clean the storm windows of the house. To do this I had to get out the extension ladder to reach the second story windows. It was a beautiful spring day, sunny with a little chill in the air from a slight breeze and suddenly I felt an impact against my back which pushed me against the ladder and the ladder and I bowed closer to the house. Simultaneously, I heard my Father say, “Well, this was easy. If I had known this I would have done it a long time ago.”

This I believe: That my Father’s spirit joined mine that day and he lives with me now.