Corn Chuckin’

Alex - Gurnee, Illinois

Corn Chuckin’

Growing up, my friends and I would meet up everyday in the biggest backyard of the neighborhood. Directly behind that there was a perfect acre of corn that in the fall would grow taller than us. We would do many things in the field, such as playing tag, going through mazes, and taking turns driving a dirt bike. Among these, one of my favorites was throwing corn at each other. It was a simple game, get hit by the corn, you are “out”, and when the entire team is “out”, your team wins. We could play this game with a number of items, but the real fun of the game is that A. corn hurts, very much and B. If you got caught by the farmer you could get in trouble. The shear thrill of knowing that you might get in trouble leads us to hurl corn at each other and run at the sign of an adult. The fun was immortal.

Now fast forward eight years. Most of the friends that I once met everyday in the backyard have long moved away or I no longer see. The world has not changed, yet in losing the blissful naivety of childhood, I have gained what I had hoped to avoid, responsibility, power, and issues that I do not know how to deal with. Back then, there was no such thing as hate, greed, and unfair events. My world was simple, with rules that were followed because those were the rules of the game. The adults were always concerned about something; money, love, safety, war, and disease, but none of these had room in the backyard. The backyard was simply full of games, were no one was concerned about the future, but that has changed.

Those days are gone now. Yet, the feeling of joy, of bliss, will only go as I lose sight of what is important; having the best life I can muster. I will never simply avoid eye contact with the world, the issues and concerns are important to me, and always will be. I am neither saying I should simply go around breaking laws for the rush of it. I simply believe that there is only one life, and that should not be spent worrying about the past or moping around waiting for things to pick up. I must make it so by going through my life enjoying the present, making sure that no matter what has happened or will happen that I make every second count. After all, I only have so many seconds to use before the fate of man takes me from this world. Every time I wake up I know that today I will be a friend and receive one. Every day I promise myself I will do something enjoyable to make it memorable, to learn and remember. Even though the days of the backyard field are over, I will continue to have just as much joy come out of my left. Heck, maybe I will find myself chucking corn again one day.