Proud to be An American

Ginger - Grand Rapids, Michigan

Proud to be an American, this I believe

Walking my two dogs on a balmy Sunday afternoon in Riverside Park, I notice walkers openly talking with others or day dreaming with every stride they take. Bathing in the sun light a young man take a break from biking to makes his claim to the grassy patch that laid between the walking path and the babble river that feeds and flows into the grand Michigan lakes. This is just another spring day in the park or a portrait of the American way of life we tend to take for granted. The common factor we have as walker, bikers, and park enthusiast is the lack of fear.

That is the gift, the lack of fear. As Americans we are quite fortunate that all our fears are created by our own doing, a typical American takes for granted the freedoms we have but instead complains about what is not given to him or her. The image that we sit back in the Lazy Boy recliners dressed in tattered Abercrombie and Fitch $75.00 torn jeans, eating McDonald’s Super Sized Quarter Pounder with cheese meal deals while playing Wii video game system on high definition television is a repetitive picture some citizens believe is their right. The picture is only blurred when there is an occurrence that forces us to realize what is important. I am not ungrateful by no means to be so judgmental. I love the freedom of being an American and wouldn’t give it up for the world.

Now many people around the world think Americans are gluttonous pigs. The silver spoons hang out our mouths like panting dogs. We feast on every resource to leave nothing for anyone else. It is amazing how misguided other people’s education on cultures not their own. Much of the world deals with fears Americans cannot fathom common concerns of famine, disease and basic living is an everyday occurrence for many who live simpler live than ourselves.

If you read the Bills of Right, the Constitution, Federalist Papers, and the Declaration of Independence the underlying idea is that we, the people of this great nation, want to be free of fear. Americans from the first people who settled on this great nation struggled against famine, disease, and death to be free from English rule. Later in time many patriotic citizens fought and died against those on our land and abroad who wanted to impede our ways of life. Only once was there a conflict of Americans against Americans where lifestyles and freedom for all where not seen eye to eye.

Democracy is defined as “the spirit or practice of political, legal or social equality”. To maintain our equality has been a fight in itself. We debate personally and politically to get our views heard and pasted by the majority to become law. This ability is not a part of other governments. Dictatorship, tyranny, socialism as well as civil revolutions walk over people rights and incur fear. Citizens of these countries are not people but pawns that are expendable. The looming cloud of not knowing when you no longer are an asset but in way of a government’s agenda heightens people’s fear of persecution and extermination.

When the president states that we fight for freedom he mean we fight to be able to walk freely down the bike trail on that balmy Sunday afternoon at Riverside Park enjoying the silly play of dogs with squirrels who torment the enthusiastic beasts in a game of chase.

God bless American, this I believe.