Freedom of Hair

William - Monroe, North Carolina

Freedom of Hair

I believe that having long hair has given me the right to convey myself.

For me having long hair has given me the freedom not to conform to the norm. I have had long hair most of my entire life. I did not get my first haircut as a child until I was twelve years old. My parents were hippies of a sort and that was the reason I assume.

As a child I was never picked on for having my hair long by adults. Often teachers would compliment me for having such long, healthy, and pretty hair. Sometimes other children would pick on me for having long hair. My mother would often times tell me they are jealous and wish there parents would allow them the freedom to express themselves.

Once in high school I never had an issue with long hair. It was during the 1980s and “mullets” were very popular and how I wish I could forget that trend but I still had my hair all one length. I had the typical rocker crowd often speak to me and be friendly because we had some sort of connection with the long hair. I lettered in baseball, and football in high school and my coaches each year would ask me to cut my hair. I never once gave in. I felt that by cutting it I would only be conforming to what they wanted. I was never a problem child and often those who knew me admired me for having long hair.

As I grew into an adult I never have thought about cutting my hair. I was hired at Bank of America, and Wachovia with my hair the length it is now. I feel it is a way for me to express myself. Once I was hired people learned to look past my hair length and see me for who I am. I also feel that in the future it will not hamper my search for a job once I am finished with school. In this day and age people seem to have a more open mind.

Having my hair long has been a choice I have made to show who I really am. I am a free spirited person and will continue to be one. I will never say I won’t get my hair cut but at this juncture in my life it is highly doubtful. People who have known me for years look at it as part of me being me. If I were to cut my hair part of me would be considered dead and gone. I am not about to let anyone make decisions for me or tell me how to live my life. So either like it or not I will have hair down to my rear before I die!