The Little Things In Life

Melissa - Wadesboro, North Carolina
Themes: carpe diem

I believe the little things of life are important… In my life, I have learned not take life for granted. I have learned that what is here today may be gone tomorrow. This is why the little things in life are important, such as a smile or a soft touch of a friend or a family member. I know all to well how life can throw a curve ball. My mother was diagnosed with a terminal illness when I was thirteen and a half years old. It was hard on the whole family. I became her caregiver. This is where I came to an understanding of what is important in life. This is the place where I learned about the little things.

I remember when my mother was well. She used to worry a lot and some times, she just seemed to worry about stuff that just did not matter. If a pillow was out of place on the couch or there was fuzz on the carpet. She would worry about it. Then, when she became ill all that worrying over nothing became in vain. Again, it is the little things in life that are important, such as enjoying a warm summer’s day or taking the time to view a sunset because, one never knows when life will throw a curve ball.

I believe the little things of life are important such as taking a moment to listen to a family member or a friend when they need someone to talk to. Because one never knows if there will come a time when one will never hear their voice again. This was the case with my mother. With her illness, she lost the ability to speak. That is why I believe the little things in life are important, such as taking some time out of a busy day to tell a family member or a friend how much they are appreciated or to give them a compliment because, one never knows when life will throw a curve ball.

I believe that the little things in life are important because there is no guarantee of tomorrow. I believe that the little things of life, add up to be the biggest things in life. Enjoying life for what it is and making the most out of it because, one never knows when life will throw a curve ball.