Paige - iowa city, Iowa

I believe in humor in the darkest times of your life. Making my friends and my family laugh is what I’m known for. It’s the only emotion I can guarantee of always having in any unexpected situation.

Sometimes it is not always good to be known as the family “clown” because I can get annoying at times, but when any one of my family members or friends are in need of being cheered up I am always there for them, or at least I try to be.

After my sister, Megan, was in an accident on Christmas night 2006 everyone was obviously sad for a long time. So I did what I could to stay upbeat and funny because it was the one thing that would keep me from breaking. Finally Megan was able to get out of the ICU and move to her own room in the hospital. I had been back in Iowa City for school at that time, so when I saw her for the first time without all the tubes, monitors, and IVs stuck in her, I had to make jokes. I pretended to be her in her walker and acted like she was a little old grandma because she basically had to learn how to walk all over again. It was the first time in about a month that I had seen my family laugh. So it was then that I knew that everything would be okay and we could help Megan get through all of the long recovery she had ahead of her. To this day she remembers the time that I walked in and made them all laugh as a turning point. After that, there was a lot more laughter and smiles.

It only takes one person to help find the good in a situation that seems impossible to find the good in. I have been on the receiving end before, so I am just lucky and glad that I was able to help my family through that tough time in our lives. I guess you can say it’s like, “what goes around comes around” but in a good way. Friends, family, and a little laughter can make it through virtually anything if you use it the right way.