Make Your Glass Overflow

Lillian - Mission Woods, Kansas

When you first hear a teacher or parent say “Give 110%!” what’s the first thing you think? There’s only 100% in a whole. Last year through my education and after-school activities, I learned that trying means 100%, but giving it everything you’ve got adds up to 110%. What’s the use in giving 50% when you can do so much better? I watch people everyday that just snap up an essay or zip through a test. They have so much potential bubbling inside them, just waiting to get out. But, by just spitting words onto paper, they eliminate hundreds of chances to do the best they can.

Some people even encourage others to stoop to their low potential level. Many times this year, people have told me, “You’re an overachiever,” when I try to do the best I can.

“You know what?” I tell them, “Yes I am.” Would you rather be an underachiever? I’m proud to give it my all. It doesn’t make me feel great when people disagree with the way I live my life, but I don’t really let it effect me. I’m one of those people who don’t care much about what people think.

My friends say, “Won’t I look stupid in this?” or “You shouldn’t be such a goofball in public.”

I tell them the same five words each time: “Who cares what people think?” So as you can see, when a person merely tells me that I try too hard, I feel a little sad. Not because a person just came up to me and put me down, but because they are so pressured not to achieve their full potential that… they don’t.

Many know the saying “Is the glass half empty or half full?” and understand that it means “Are you thinking about all the things that you don’t have in life or looking at what you do?” I’m here to say this: you won’t have to deal with the problem of wondering if you should look up at the sky or down at your toes if your glass isn’t filled half way. People need to start filling up their glasses all the way, making them overflow, in fact. I surely strive to do even better than possible, in turn, overflowing my glass.

My mind has matured greatly. I now realize that I have to go by what I know. Some people aren’t smart. Some people aren’t athletic. Life will bring challenges that are even challenging for the unchallengeable. The best they can do is to try their best, give it their all, offer 110%. So don’t let the glass be half empty or half full; make it overflow.