Family Helps Hard Times

Ron - Gulfport, Mississippi
Themes: family, setbacks

Hard Times

I believe that people should not give up on life so easily, even if it seems like there is no way out or nothing to look forward too. I have had an unlucky life. My dad was sent to prison when I was about five. Right after that my mother left my brother, sister and me. My grandparents took us in until my dad could get out of jail. All five of us lived in a two bedroom trailer. Although life was so hard, we were never complained. I would help my brother and sister with school and just try to keep them in line as best I could. Finally after 4 years, my father had been released from prison. My mom started trying to come around from time to time but we did not talk to her because she left us. I guess everyone has their reasons.

After my dad got back on his feet he started working construction. For the next five years, we lived in four different states and I went to twenty different schools. My dad could not find a steady job. We had been living in a tent in my grandparent’s back yard for four months now. He met a woman at this new job that would change our life. She was the nicest woman I had ever met. They both lost their job because they wanted to see their children. No money and no house again. We stayed in seven different camp sites from Gulfport to Memphis. The thing that made this so hard was the fact that it did not quit raining the whole time.

For a while, things were going good. Then one day, Linda started feeling sick. Come to find out, there had been a brain tumor building in her head. It was like a shot to the gut. “If it was not one thing, it was another,” my dad said. She asked that if she had chemo or radiation if she would recognize her children and her man if they walked in the room. The doctors said, “Yes, at first, but eventually…no.” She decided to let her body take its course. She died four months later. We moved back down to the Mississippi Gulf Coast afterwards. The friends that I hung out with were friends that I grew up with. One morning, I got a call from my best friend Randy. He called to tell me he was going to be a father. Then, a week later, his girlfriend calls me up. I got the call that nobody ever wants to get. Randy had slid off the road on the way to work and hit a tree. I had never cried before then. I will always remember Randy and Linda in my heart. They taught me things that I will never forget. So keep your family close. You never know when they could be gone.