I Believe That Prayer Can Change Anything

Demetricq - Gulfport, Mississippi

As A child I grew up with four sisters and two brothers. My mother took us to church every Sunday. We grew up going to church and praying for everything we needed. As I got older I taught my own children that same value. Because I always believed that with the help of God I could do all things. I really learned that prayer could change anything.

At the age of twenty years old I had had a two year old son and was pregnant with another child. I began to pray while I was pregnant that the child I was caring would be a boy so my oldest son could have some one to play with. At the same time in my mind I really wanted a girl so I could be through having children. The Lord knew what was best for me. I had a boy, they were two years apart. They grew up playing and sharing together just like I wanted.

When my youngest son was three years old he had been sick for about five weeks straight with a fever. The doctors kept giving him antibiotics; they didn’t know where the fever was coming from. One night my son came in my room and woke me up and said mommy lets pray, please pray with me. He go on his knees and bowed his head, I immediately got down on my knees with him and began to pray. The next morning he was just lying around not eating or playing. I knew something was wrong because he was not the child to just let anything stop his from playing.

Around 11:00am that Sunday morning I took him to the hospital. They started about 12:00 noon running tests on him. His fever was 104 and continuing to get higher. They kept giving him Motrin and Tylenol. Around 12:00 am they finally decided to check him for Spinal Meningitis. The doctor and four other nurses went in the room with him. I began to cry, until a preacher walked up and prayed for me. He said that everything was going to be okay because you and your child have already prayed. Moments later the doctors and nurses came out and I went in he was laughing and playing. The doctor looked at me and showed me three tubes of fluid that they drew off of his spine. The doctor said that my son was lucky because with a fever as high as his was for so long his brain should have massive damage and his neck could have popped back and put him in a comma. I knew that by the grace of God why my son made it through. My son knew that night before something was wrong when he asked to pray. By praying and believing in prayer that is what kept him alive and well, he is now eleven years old and doing just great.