The Silver Scotty Dog

Tyler - Auburn, New Hampshire

Tyler P

Trinity High School

Common Application

Board games are simple toys crafted from plastic and cardboard. However, they serve as equalizers and can promote honesty among people. We hope that in playing board games, we can enter a new realm. In games like Monopoly, the pawns represent miniature versions of each player. The figures are all different in shape, size, and color, but they are placed at the same points on a level playing field. This miniature world is governed by mutual equality but still allows each player to retain one’s own personality and strategies. This is why I believe in board games.

Every year my family takes a weekend trip to a resort in the mountains. There we meet a large group consisting of both family and friends. The daytime is devoted to skiing and ice-skating. Then at night the games begin. We play all sorts of games, such as Catchphrase, Mad Gab, Imaginiff, Sorry, Apples to Apples, and, of course, Monopoly. The games are played until long after midnight. It is a longstanding tradition that unites our large group as one. We learn different qualities of people every year.

Whenever we play Monopoly, I’m quick to snatch up the Scottie dog so I won’t be stuck with a pawn such as the thimble. The dog is no shinier or luckier than the thimble. It might be slightly more aerodynamic for those quick hair-pin turns past GO, but I’m drawn more toward what the dog represents: loyalty, drive, and a friendly disposition. I don’t exhibit all of these traits at every moment of my life, but in choosing to use the dog, I am choosing to honor the traits that define me. I am choosing to be loyal to both the players and the rules and vowing to stay true to my beliefs. I also maintain my focus on the task at hand, while still having a good time with the other players. During the game, I incorporate these traits into my strategy in the hopes that I will win, but I also strive to integrate these traits in my everyday life in the pursuit of success.

Anyone who has played Monopoly knows the feeling of accomplishment that comes from owning all four railroads. They also know the feeling of defeat associated with landing on Boardwalk after the owner purchased a hotel. The game of Monopoly can go on for hours. Every player experiences ups, downs, twists, and turns. Then, back in the real world, the players also experience ups and downs. Board games allow me to experience life on a smaller scale. I can take the lessons I’ve learned and use them in my everyday life. I hope that in applying my successful board game strategies in real life, I can remain a loyal, driven, friendly person, and ultimately be happy and successful. I strive, like in my world of board games, to have fun and still succeed in life.