I Believe in Walls

Chelsea - Merrimack, New Hampshire

I believe that walls hold my memories, my past, my future, and offer me a blank slate throughout life. Everyone’s heard the saying, “If only walls could speak” but what would my walls say about me?

My walls have seen me at my best and my worst. They have seen me be unselfish by picking up a piece of trash from a hallway or by emptying the dishwasher in my house without being told. However, they have also seen me walk by a freshman who dropped his books while walking to class, and they have seen me be the person to drop a piece of trash in the hallway. Walls have seen me fight over nothing, cry over spilled milk, procrastinate until early morning hours, and be perfectly content when I can just relax with my friends, or my mom, and watch a movie.

Our memories are supported by the walls win which they take place. When I leave loved ones, I try to remember where they are and the last things they said, just in case I never see them again. After the death of my grandfather, I recalled the last time I saw him and burst into tears when I thought that while leaving I did not hug him goodbye. My mom reassured me that I had hugged him while saying goodbye. Knowing where I said my last goodbye to my grandfather comforts me because I can always recall what he said in his big reclining chair, watching television, and that every time I hugged him goodbye, he would give me a root beer flavored candy. The memories that walls hold help my cope through the death of lost ones but also make me laugh when I am able to recall the memories I left in those walls.

Family gatherings take place in the walls of my house, pep rallies take place within the walls of a gym, and parties take place within the walls of a friend’s house. All of these walls have helped shape the person I have become today.

Today, I managed to make some walls my own. I painted my walls, added borders, and I made a wall for memorabilia so that I do not forget my past. Artwork, collages, pictures, tickets, and demerit slips cover my walls, making those walls my own.

Walls are a way of leaving my mark behind. Before I left my old house, I knelt down and wrote my name and the year on a wall in my bedroom. Even though it may get covered, I will always remember that I left a mark in the walls that once belonged to me.

Walls change and people change, but life still goes on. Walls change from being covered in finger-painted artwork to mathematical equations and quotes from famous poets. My walls will adjust to where I am in life as I move on to college, dorms, jobs, and homes, but I will always make those walls my own.