I believe in See Ya Tomorrows

Christi - Manchester, New Hampshire
Themes: family, hope

I believe in “see-ya-tomorrows,” not “good-byes.” You see, the world is in a system of automatic finalization. A friendly “hello” always ends in a blunt “good-bye.” Adios, au revoir, etc…”good-byes” are a worldwide tradition. To me, “good-byes” are too depressing, too sorrowful, too menacing. I’d rather say the very similar but more optimistic “See-ya-tomorrow.” Why? The answer is simple: I believe in happy endings, I believe in second chances, I believe in hope. I believe that when the sun sets it will come back up the next morning.

It is because of this belief that I also believe the phone call with my uncle, who is leaving to fight for our country in Iraq, was not my last one. While he talked about how proud he was of me, as if he would never get the chance to tell me again, his voice shook under the strain of sorrow. I held back my tears and listened. And that night, as I laid myself down to sleep, I dreamed of my vision of the “tomorrow,” and that thought made me smile when I thought it was impossible to do so. I believe that my last words to him, “See ya tomorrow,” will keep him strong and make that phrase a reality.

I believe that a broken family will mend, despite shattered childhood memories which lay around me like the pieces to a puzzle. Remembering when my aunt left due to disagreements with my parents, I felt lost and empty inside. She was my best friend, my role model, and my godmother. As I sat on my bed and held the teddy bear she gave me for my birthday, I watched her leave, not understanding. Unable to protest, unable to speak out, unable to explain my thoughts, I cried to myself and felt bitter resentment toward everyone. I thought, “Now what?” I figured from the moment the front door shut, time would stand still…but it didn’t, I’m here now, in the “tomorrow.” I learned to say “see-ya-tomorrow” in my adolescent wish that it would happen. But never will I say good bye. That would be the easy way out, giving up on my soul and fighting my heart’s desires. I can never give up; I owe it to myself to stay strong.

By saying “see-ya-tomorrow,” I am supporting all those in the world who feel that there is no hope. Although some dreams do not always come true, they are certainly nice to believe in. I’ve learned to believe and have hope in the simple things as well as things that seem impossible, by being a more optimistic realist and avoiding the unnecessary sorrows in life. I will become more focused on sheltering my hopes and dreams that define who I am. All starting with three simple words. I will start this new tradition today, starting now. See ya tomorrow!