The Power of Reggae

Marcus - Petoskey, Michigan

The Power of Reggae

The music of our world today can hardly be considered true music at all. As most of the world has become a massive gold dig and popularity contest, music has as well. Not only is the main intention of musicians to become famous and make millions, but most will do whatever it takes to get to that point, no matter how dehumanizing or personally degrading it is. A big chunk has been taken out of music since it first began; the meaning, the purpose, the message, and the talent. With the majority of pop, hip-hop, and techno of today, what meaningful message can you get out of it? What is the purpose behind it? Where is the talent in pressing a few buttons on your keyboard to make a collaboration of beats? Through times like these, the world needs more than just a dance party mix, or a sweet beat to freestyle to. The world needs something refreshing, soothing, and up-beat. The world needs Reggae.

Reggae is sometimes referred to as Rastafarian music, and it is a genre that is many times overlooked and underestimated. Within the definition of Reggae, it says that this genre of music is characterized by syncopated rhythms. What does this mean? To sum it up, it basically means that you will know Reggae when you hear it because of its distinctive and unique sound, beat, and rhythm. With every Reggae song comes a message that isn’t recognized unless the song is dissected. Throughout history, Reggae has been known for its political messages and sometimes even achievements. “The King of Reggae” is what they call him. Since the day he started writing music, he has became a pioneer of the reggae genre, among many other things, such as a national image and hero. Bob Marley was a man with much power through his words, music, and genius mind that he had. An exert of his lyrics is as follows:

Most people think, Great God will come from the skies,

Take away everything And make everybody feel high.

But if you know what life is worth, You will look for yours on earth:

And now you see the light, You stand up for your rights. jah!

Get up, stand up! Stand up for your rights!

And for what do you think he states words like this? Image? Reputation? Money? No. Instead, it was all for the love of music, people, equality, and the strong standing and position in what he personally believes. Marley and many artists like him have already made a big impact on society. Their ways and words are looked up to and respected. Imagine, a meaningful, truthful message that someone actually listens to! I believe that Reggae music has a way of shaping and reforming through the art of music; something that no other genre can do. There is nothing else like it, and for that reason, Reggae is exactly the type of music this world needs.