Are You Happy?

Yu-Ching - Brookline, Massachusetts

Are you happy? This is a question I often ask to myself and others, because I believe in asking myself and other people “Are you happy?” every day. Not only is it an act of care for others, but it is also a reminder for myself. It makes me stop and think about how I can improve upon myself.

Everyone has times when they are depressed, and caring for other people is always the best way to cure this feeling. Even if it is just a, “How are you?” or “Are you alright?” it is like someone reaching out for you and lifting your burdens off you. Asking if someone is happy is the same thing. It shows that you care about the person you ask. You can tug him out of depression, or even prevent horrible things from happening.

I am a person who gets emotional easily, and that is when I need ask myself, “Am I happy?” It makes me calm down and really think about why I’m not happy. People don’t usually realize they are getting emotional when something gets stuck deep in their head. So every once in a while I have to ask myself if I’m happy and figure out what is causing me to not be happy. I will make improvement, solve the problem that’s bugging me and making me not happy.

When I just came to America in the summer of 2007, I was like Hansel and Gretel who were left in the woods, lost, lonely and helpless. I didn’t know anybody here. Everything was just unfamiliar for me. I kept asking myself, “why am I not happy?” And I really wanted someone to ask me if I’m happy. I needed someone to care about me, but no one seemed to care.

Asking myself and other people “are you happy?” is an easy way to remind myself of being happy, and also make other people happy. Ask if someone is happy whenever you see them. They will know that you care for them. A simple question can also make a great difference.