I Believe In Running

Hayden - Manchester, New Hampshire
Themes: sports

When I was about eight years old, my mother suggested that I take up running as a hobby. Being a long-time runner, my mother knew the great joys and benefits running had brought to her life, and she wanted me to have the same experiences. However, when I went on my first run, I did not experience a single joy. My mother brought me on a one-mile loop around our neighborhood. The only detail that I can really remember from my first run was that I cried quite a bit during the second half of the run. When we got back to our house, I promised myself that I would never put myself through such pain again.

I must have forgotten that experience about a year later because I entered my first race, a 5K. When I finished that race, I felt accomplished. My feeling of accomplishment, however, must have overshadowed the pain of the race. I wanted to enter the race the next year and get a better time. Every time I finish a race or a hard workout, I feel accomplished. This is why I continue to run.

I believe in running. It is not only a hobby of mine but also something I cherish every day. Running helps me accomplish so many goals. Whenever I am stressed from school or just life in general, I can lace up my white and green Asics trainers and go out for a run. Running tires me out and helps me forget all of my worries. When I finish a run, I experience an almost indescribable feeling. The empty, pre-run feeling is filled and my mind is free from want. After I run, the rest of my day seems to flow smoothly.

Running also supplies me with a bit of alone time every day. I use this time to think about the day or what I have coming up in school. Running has also taught me discipline. I have a schedule which plans out how much I will run each week. For example, I may have to run forty miles in one week, and I try to plan it out as evenly as possible. In order to become a better runner, I have to adhere to that schedule. There are many days when I do not feel like doing the run that I have scheduled for myself, but I know that if I want to improve, I must go out and do it. I apply this discipline I have learned from running to most other aspects of my life. When I come home from school and the last thing I want to do is homework, I think about the good grade I will get if I complete my homework.

Running has made my life much fuller and has instilled confidence in me. I would not be the same without running. I believe in running.