Is It or Isn’t It…

Jennifer - Brookline, Massachusetts

Is it or Isn’t it…

I always tell myself that I don’t have a belief, but that’s not true because the fact that I don’t have one is a belief. I don’t really believe in a certain belief, I just wait and see what will happen next. I don’t expect anything good as a result. The harder I try to, the better I become as a person. I don’t use a belief to get myself through situations; instead, I experience things myself by doing my best. I don’t attach myself to one certain belief, I may listen to other people’s beliefs and think about them, but I don’t always agree.

I’ve been trying to search for a belief that I can attach myself to, but it’s not easy finding one that you can really believe in or maybe it just doesn’t work that way. Maybe a belief is caused from having personal experience or is influenced by friends, family or even the media. In my experience, I have been in complicated situations where I had to make quick decisions. Making quick decisions is hard; you have to think quickly without anytime to think. As you grow older as a young adult, life gets more complicated; it won’t be as simple as when you were young. There are more problems in life to solve and as you go on in life there are more tasks to achieve. When you solve these situations, most people use what they “believe” in to help them. But for me, I do what would get me further in life without knowing the results, without expecting a result, and without hoping the results will be something positive.

Everyone is unique. Does that mean everyone has his/her own belief? I certainly think so; no one’s beliefs are the same. It may be the same theme, but the theory of each individual is different. Everyone has their own way of thinking, making their own decisions; what they want or what they don’t want. If you’re young and haven’t experienced enough in this world, you may one day change your belief. In my situation, I’m still searching for a belief or maybe I’ll never have one. For some people, they might not have a belief, so they learn from living their lives; not form following or counting on a belief.

I stick to my belief, which is not having a belief, because if you set high goals in life and you’re not able to achieve them, you will just disappoint yourself. So, if you don’t expect or set goals in life, and just wait to see the results, you will always achieve your own thoughts. When you don’t have faith in anything, you won’t anticipate anything. There’s no need to compete with others; compete with you! This is why I don’t believe in anything. I stick to my own motto; I do what best and right for myself. I use good judgment and common sense, but not a belief that I will always be fixed to and be guided by.

No one is forced to believe in existence. A belief is something you have learned; you may have even learned it from a mistake or maybe, you were born with it. You shouldn’t have to put a lot of effort into finding a belief. When you’ve found the right one, you’ll know that that’s the right one you’ve been waiting for. I may find one or not; it all depends on what I want to believe in. Do I really want to believe in something, have faith in one particular thing or count on someone? It all depends upon my decisions in the future.