How To Appreciate Life

Mikael - Chestnuthill, Massachusetts
Themes: change

I’m making every step to a minute, trying to waste as much time on walking instead of being lonely. That is why I don’t want to arrive at my destination, because my destination is still unclear for me. Not knowing a single person, where should I go? Who should I ask? Hoping to recognize someone, I make an extra lap around the school. Without success I choose to sit down. Alone. I look around, and every where my eyes stop I see someone talking to someone and smiling. They all seem to know someone. Left is me alone just looking. How did this happen to me? For the first time in my life I feel the pain of loneliness strike me. No were to turn, no one to ask, and nobody to talk with. I’m unknown to everyone and everyone is unknown to me. For the first time in my life I have to start over. Things I took for habits have vanished, nobody to eat and share a meal with, no one to hang out with after school, and nobody to call. First day of school is always though, especially if you don’t know anyone or know the language properly. That is something I have experienced, already the first time my family discussed the offer my mom got from her job about moving to Boston I felt ill and confused. Not really until then, had I never thought of moving or even imaged what it would be like, and then all sudden; Bang! Everything is new everyone is new, and my view of friendship and security is new. Not until now I have to worry about friends, worry about having someone to just eat lunch with for an example. They are small things but they matter so much!

I believe you don’t understand how good you have it until it is taken from you.

Without knowing it you probably have it really good, not until it disappears you realize it. So it is very important to know this and think in this direction. Else you will never really be happy, or you might be happy without knowing it or be thankful for it.

Now when I have experienced all about what moving means and what it feels like, not only move to somewhere else in your country but also outside your country. Somewhere you don’t know the language perfect, somewhere the culture is different. I have learned that you should appreciate the thing you have, and not think so much about what you don’t have. Now when I go back I will know better and, be thankful for what I have, but if I only do that I won’t learn my lesson perfectly. Now when I’m here I should try to make the best of it and be thankful for what I have, things you take for habits might be dreams for others.