Battle of the Sexes

Angela - New Lenox, Illinois
Themes: equality

“Circle, circle, dot, dot, now I have my cootie shot!” Ever since I was little, I have always thought that boys have cooties and that’s how it is. Boys could play sports while girls stayed inside and danced or sang.

Since I can remember, I always got the short end of the stick between my brother and me. I could never go outside and play because I was told I wanted to play with dolls, but I actually wanted to go play in the sand box. My bother got all the cool new toys because he was the baby and I got the hand me downs from my cousins.

It still happens today, my brother is 17 and has a curfew of whenever he feels like coming home. When I was his age I had to be home at 11p.m. One night recently he even decided coming home at 6 am was okay and didn’t get in trouble. It is still a battle of the sexes. Even when I hangout with my friends sex comes into play. If we are playing football, lets say, and have to pick teams, the girls always get picked last. Just because I am a girl doesn’t mean I don’t know how to catch and throw a football!

I always bring up the idea I’m being treated unfairly to my parents, but they brush it off. I have never been able to figure out why it happens. Is it because boys can do more because of their strength or height? No matter what I say, I always get the saying, “Well that’s because he’s a boy and you’re a girl.” So why does he get the better deal just because of his sex?

I have finally come to the realization that it shouldn’t be about being equal with the person standing next to you, it should be about how you got to this point in your life; it’s through the trials and tribulations of daily occurrences.

I believe that we all must not worry about being equal, whether it is gender, sexual preference, or discrimination in the workplace. We should be who we want to be, do it however we want, and be proud that we were able to overcome sexual bias.