I Believe in Kids

Juliana - East Jordan, Michigan
Themes: children

Like most girls, I grew up babysitting kids. Throughout the years, my motivation for babysitting changed. I started out doing it as a favor, then for money, and, finally, for me. This is why I believe in kids.

When I was a senior in high school, I started babysitting for a family on a regular basis. I already had a regular job, but they paid very well and my aunt worked with the kids’ aunt, so I, in a way, felt as if I had to do it. After a short time, I slowly became attached to the kids. I looked forward to every Thursday when I would watch them. They were good kids and we always had fun. I always said that I didn’t feel like I was actually working; it was like I was getting paid to have fun.

While things with this family were only getting better, things with my own life were going downhill. My parents separated and eventually got divorced, I found out that my boyfriend of almost two years was talking to his ex-girlfriend behind my back, and to top it all off, I wasn’t doing well in school. All of this stress made me go into a major depression. I wasn’t eating, I wouldn’t get out of bed unless I had to go to work, and nothing could cheer me up, except for the kids.

All of the little things they would do made a difference. For example, when I would arrive and ring the doorbell, I could hear them screaming my name and running toward the door, and I was greeted with hugs. This made me feel loved, wanted, and appreciated. Just to hear their high pitched, uncontrollable laughter when I would act silly meant everything to me. When we would sit down to watch a movie, they would sit near me to cuddle. This unconditional love made me feel complete and for a short while I was able to escape from my state of depression. The thing that melted my heart the most was to just hear them, out of nowhere, say, “I love you.”

I believe kids bring joy, laughter, or even a little smile to anyone who is down. They give an irresistible love and help you learn patience and responsibility. It’s as if they have the instinct to know when you’re down or when you’re not yourself and in their own little ‘kid’ way, make it all better. Although sometimes children get misjudged for their silliness, I believe that the love and joy they give surpasses all.