It Is No Use Crying Over Spilt Milk

Jessie - Brookline, Massachusetts

Do you believe that a time machine can work to return to the past? No, it’s impossible to restore the time you have already spent. It’s also of no use to regret the things you have done. I believe in the saying, “It is no use crying over spilt milk.” When I was younger, I used to believe that it was important to look back and reflect on my past, so I would never make the same mistakes again. However, my thoughts on this have changed.

In seventh grade, I learned about a foreign language high school. It was a special private school, so in order to get in, I had to prepare for an entrance exam. But I didn’t study for the test until one month before the exam. My friends prepared for more than a year. I couldn’t catch up and truly regretted not starting my preparation earlier. I decided not to make the same mistake again. Some people say it’s significant to reflect and find what went wrong so we don’t make the same mistakes again. I used to think that way, but I was wrong. The world doesn’t wait for every person to repeat the process of regret. Although the process takes a short time, it’s useless because the same events will not reoccur as the world changes every minute.

I moved to Brookline, Massachusetts three weeks ago. I really miss my home and friends in Korea. Even though I was born in Philadelphia, I have been accustomed to Korean culture for a long time. I feel like a stranger here. Now, I’m not going to feel bad about coming here because I know it’s useless and nothing can be changed. Therefore, I have decided to think differently and not worry about the past. I will just accept my situation as an opportunity to deeply learn about American culture and gain a broader perspective of the world.

There are some people who struggle to achieve their goals and cannot accomplish the goals they seek. This is because they are stuck in the past and they cannot go forward. Nobody can restore time. Thus, regretting the things that are already done is useless. Instead of looking back, crying over spilled milk, and wasting time, it’s more clever to look forward, make goals, and work hard to achieve them. Just think positively.