Finally Giving for the Right Reasons

Traci - Fremont, California

During high school, I was always trying to find ways to get out of class. I would use the most obnoxious excuses to cut the classes I dreaded the most, such as English and math. It’s not that I was a bad student; I just didn’t want to sit through boring lectures all day long. Thankfully, twice a year I was given a chance to skip class to donate blood for Stanford Blood Center. Back then, donating blood never really meant more to me then just getting out of class.

Not until after high school did I start donating blood for the right reasons. I knew that every donation would go to people that truly needed it, and that made me feel great about driving twenty minutes out of my way to the donation center every three months.

Through donating I found that my blood type is O+ and CMV negative. With being O+, I’m a universal donor and I am CMV negative because I have not yet contracted the Cytomegalovirus. My blood is not considered rare, but since I know that it mainly goes towards helping premature babies, I feel that my blood is one in a million.

After donating for four years, I have now given blood twelve times; each time through Stanford Blood Center. After realizing that blood is not the only thing I can donate, I decided to start growing out my hair. Just recently, I donated a foot of my hair to Locks of Love, an organization that creates wigs for children suffering from medical illnesses that causes loss of hair.

I know that I won’t stop donating and helping others. I plan to be on the wall at my donation center at the Stanford campus for having donated 16 gallons of whole blood. I calculated that being on the wall will take another 29 years, and I am very willing and able to take the next 29 years of my life fulfilling my dream of seeing my name engraved on the gold plaque. Some people aspire to be famous; I just want to be recognized for my donations.

Maybe after finishing my college education and holding down a rewarding career, I will be able to do more than donate my blood and hair. I plan on helping out communities that I live in and someday making a difference in the lives of underprivileged children. Whether I adopt a child or volunteer at various groups, I know that I want to spend the rest of my life giving what I can to others.

I believe in helping people as much as I can. I believe that by giving blood and hair, I am making someone else’s life easier. I know that there are people in the world that need what I have to offer, and I plan on giving to those in need, whenever I can.