This I Believe… Having A Social Life Is Important

Mercy - Chicago, Illinois
Themes: change

As a teen-ager/young adult, I realize that there are a lot of things that are important for you to have. Good grades, supportive parent(s), and most of all a strong social status. What do I mean by that? It is very important to have a social life. Now to be perfectly honest with you, I did not develop a belief for this until a couple of weeks ago. Every since my dad passed away, I’ve been surrounded by a “metal built” shell. Now I’ve began to realize that the world is still going on and that I must live life to the fullest. Before discovering this I use to envy people I saw having fun because I longed for that kind of excitement in my life. Even though I made a few friends from time to time, I was not social at all. For example: It could be 75 degrees outside, and I’ll be inside sleeping or watching a boring movie. Even when I started liking boys, out relationship would not go any further than talking on the phone. So, what changed my perspective about being social? My big sister Gloria. I went over her house one weekend, and she told me she needed to talk to me. She said “Sis, it’s breaking my heart to see you live your life the way that you do”. Of course I was quite stunned by her remarks, I humbly asked “What do you mean?” She replied “you use to be this spunky, bubbly, sweet girl, and now we can barely get you to come out and be with the family”. It hurt my feelings that my actions for the past years have affected my sister the way they have. So, I made up my mind that I’m going to change that forever. I’m currently attending a program called “Upward Bound” that will teach me to become comfortable around my peers and develop my social skills.