I believe in Pain

Stephen - Bedford, New Hampshire
Themes: setbacks

I believe in pain.

My friends thought pushing me down the stairs was hilarious. Watching me flail and scream as I tumbled down what seemed to be an endless stairwell seemed to put a sparkle in their eyes. Unfortunately, while they laughed, I suffered. Being the tough third grader I was, I stood up proudly after the horrific incident, unaware that I had broken my ankle. Maybe it was adrenaline, or maybe my high pain tolerance, but afterward I decided to play tackle football, at least until I was unable to walk because my ankle swelled up to the size of a softball.

Pain has ruled my life ever since I was a little boy. As a child I touched a hot stove when my mother told me not to just to know what it feels like. I know what it feels like to get a paper cut and how incredibly painful and annoying they are, but I also know what it’s like when someone you know or care about lets you down, and that type of pain can almost be the worst.

In only sixteen years of life I have managed to flip over the handles bars of my bike many times, run into trees with dirt-bikes, fall into ditches with four-wheelers, trip walking up the stairs as well as down, break my wrist snowboarding, and of course, break my ankle getting pushed down the stairs, but that’s only listing a few.

After a long day on the slopes at Gunstock, I decided to take one last run. This, however, would be my last of the season. I took a nasty spill, flipped a few times, and managed to land perfectly on my left hand alone, snapping my wrist backward. After a week of excruciating pain, I realized that I had done something bad. I suffered two fractures in my wrist, and radius. After the incident, I thought of a quote legendary skateboarder Tony Hawk once said, “If you don’t hurt yourself doing a sport, you aren’t trying hard enough.” Then I realized: I can never perfect anything without subjecting myself to pain first. Without pain, my life would not be where it is today. With every accident, and broken bone, pain has taught me lessons that I will never forget. Through perseverance, I have learned to suppress pain, but each time, pain has left its lasting mark on me. This is what I believe.