I Believe In Water

Keri - Manchester, New Hampshire

I believe in water, the chemical compound of two hydrogen atoms covalently bonded to an oxygen atom. This compound, although critical to maintaining life, means more to me than a way to quench thirst and avoid dehydration. As far as I can remember, I have had a great love for water. Whenever my family took summer trips, whether to my grandparents’ pool, the beach, or a lake, I was drawn to the water and spent the longest time enjoying its soothing calm.

When I think about water and its appearance in nature, I am reminded of its many beautiful forms, but the prominent image in my mind is of the lake at my family’s camp. While relaxing in the water at my camp, whether I am dunking my foot in, floating on the surface, or diving off rocks into the waves, I am overcome with a tranquil spirit. The waves roll in, bringing along joyfulness, and they roll out, carrying away my fears. The lake gives me a new appreciation for nature’s beauty and helps me grow closer to God, my family, and myself. Besides sharing many amazing experiences with my family, here, I have also achieved a lifelong dream. Last summer, I swam from the opposite end of the lake, back to my camp. The feeling of being in the middle of the lake, surrounded by still water, with mountains in front of me, and one final destination ahead, was incredible. The water was present throughout my wonderful experience and it cheered with my family, once I completed my great accomplishment.

This was not the only time the water was present through a victory. Since I am on a swim team, the water has watched me succeed and fail many times. Any time I have won a race or beat my times at a meet, the water has been there to congratulate and encourage me. It has also been present every time I have lost a race or added time to an event. It has taught me that life will not always work to my satisfaction. However, when disappointment confronts me, I should move ahead to the new opportunities bound to follow. Swimming back and forth each day, I realize that water is the only truly dependable part of swimming. Everything else is unpredictable, but water will always be there, like a loyal friend. When life becomes too stressful, I go to the pool, dive under the water, and escape all the distractions of daily life. The water is with me each day, as I spend multiple hours training hard to achieve new goals.

Water is vital to all living organisms, but it has served a greater role in my life. It has carried me through many times, both good and bad, and acts as a safe haven for me. No matter where life takes me, I will never be able to separate myself from water, for if I do, I will always find my way back; this I believe.