Be Careful What You Wish For

Glenda - Gaylord, Michigan

Be Careful What You Wish For

I worked at an electronics factory for the past twenty years. Almost every day I would say, “I wish I could get a better job.”

But of course I would procrastinate because it was easier and that would be the end of it. One day at work, I was faced with the realization that I was going to have to find another job. The electronics factory was closing, and I had no choice but to look for another job. Where would I go and what would I do with the experience I had working

in manufacturing for so long? Many of those types of jobs had moved out of the northern

part of the state.

That’s when I was given the opportunity to go to college. Going back to school after working so long sounded exciting! What a change it would be from going to work every day. I met with a college career counselor, who helped me decide on my classes, and I was on my way.

The first day I arrived at school I was very anxious, and I assumed I would be one of the oldest students in class. Much to my surprise there were many people of all ages attending college. As I talked with some of the other students, I discovered that several of them were in the same situation as I was. Some of the same students felt overwhelmed on their first day also: Where was the class room? Which building is it in? What’s a syllabus? What does rhetorical mean? Am I sure I know what I’m getting myself into? At the end of the day, I was glad I had gone to school. It was a great feeling to know I was trying to better myself by finding an opportunity to learn something new.

I found all of my classrooms, and the syllabus was the class schedule for the semester, the teachers and staff were very friendly and helpful. It definitely made the rest of the semester go by a lot easier.

If it had not been for my place of employment closing, I probably never would have looked for another job. I would be doing the same repetitious job every day. College has really opened up a whole new world for me. There is more to life than just punching that clock every day. I believe wishes do come true, but we shouldn’t sit around waiting for it to happen. I believe in taking chances and making opportunities happen.