The Essay about Nothing

Nick - Charlevoix, Michigan

At the age of ten, my friend and I chose to make an animation for an art project. We made the whole thing out of construction paper and used our voices for the dialogue and the sound effects. It was about a peanut run over by a truck that turned into peanut butter. It took a lot of filming, but I remember feeling proud once we saw the final video. What I liked most about the video was that every idea was our own; we had created everything. I believe in creativity.

My favorite film director, Michel Gondry, once said, “I’ve been twelve forever.” I never really learned why he said this, but I took it as the younger you are, the more creative you are, and he’s been creative forever. I think that as I grew older, I lost the confidence that goes along with creativity. When I was ten, if an idea came into my mind I went with it. Now that I’m older, I’m a lot more worried about what people might say. I have a great imagination, but I’m afraid to show it. I feel that kids should be raised around creativity so when they grow up they will have that confidence.

Just because you think an idea is dumb, doesn’t mean it can go without consideration; people have a hard time realizing this. An example of this would be the TV show, Seinfeld. Seinfeld’s slogan is “the show about nothing.” When this was thought, I’m sure everyone was a bit sketchy about it. Once the writers started writing the episodes based around this idea, their creativity made the idea very original and fun and the show managed to last nine seasons with the concept of “nothing.” This proves that one idea is just as good as another. It just takes creativity to make it something worth doing. If the NBC executives would have turned down the idea of “a show about nothing,” our world would be Kramer-less.

I believe in creativity. It is the building block of everything around us. Not only does it bring imagination and inspiration to our lives, but it also builds our confidence. Creativity brings out who we are and how we feel; why should anyone keep that from the rest of the world.