I Believe in Miracles

Jaianira - South Boston, Massachusetts

I believe in Miracles

What is a miracle? In the dictionary it says it’s an event believed to be an act of God or of a supernatural power because it appears impossible to explain by the laws of nature. To me, a miracle is a prayer or a dream come true. Recently, I’ve had a miracle occur in my life.

In late November of 2006, someone close to me was put into a coma after being in a terrible car accident. A coma is simply a state of deep unconsciousness. He had a 50/50 chance of living. On Thanksgiving, he was on his way to his mother’s house in Quincy; somehow he lost control of his vehicle and crashed on the highway. Unfortunately, one of the passengers, his cousin Chris, died. It’s hard to see someone, especially an older sibling, go through something like that. My brother, Manny, has always been the type of person to make you laugh. It was tough for Meyanni, his 5-year-old daughter, but she believed in him. We never lost faith in Manny.

I believe in miracles because after being in a coma for a little over a year, Manny is finally awake now. He is currently recovering. I believe that this whole situation is a miracle because Manny could have died, I could have lost my older brother, but thankfully he pulled through. Miracles come in many different ways in which I am thankful for. The first one is that he is still alive; the second is I know that he is slowly recovering and finally, he will still be able to put smiles on my face everyday. It’s good to know that he’s okay. I don’t know what I would do without him.

In conclusion, a miracle can be anything from learning to read and write or a paralyzed person learning to walk, for me a miracle is something that nobody expects to happen. I believe in miracles because by the grace of God, Manny is still with us. After all the praying and all the hoping, I am finally convinced that miracles are real.