I Believe in Best Friends

Alexsandra - Windham, New Hampshire

Do you remember that day? The day in your life where you thought that you could not make it? The day where the world was crumbling upon you? The day you did not want to live through? The day where you fell to pieces? I remember that day. I recall thinking to myself, “This will never get better” or “Just let go.” Those thoughts scare me now. They scare me more than anything. Just as I get those feelings, where I think, “it won’t get better” or ‘there is nothing you can do to help’, I turn to the people who have changed my life. My best friends.

It was early November 2007 when my life had changed for the worst. I remember looking at the woman who had always inspired me to better, the one who told me never to think negatively, as she lay gracefully in her casket. As I looked upon the lifeless body of this woman who had taught me to look at the bright side, I wanted to crumble to pieces, be swept up, and thrown away. I eternally owe my life to the people who swept me up and put me back together. You see whenever I felt the slightest bit sad, they knew and would hug me until I felt better. The second I walk into a room, they know how to brighten my day. It’s the fact that my first best friend makes everyone laugh. Her laughter is so contagious. It fills me with joy. She has made one of the biggest imprints on my life. She taught me to see the world differently, and that pain goes away, and life goes on, so why not enjoy every second to the fullest extent. My second best friend can read my face like an open book. He is the most caring individual I have ever come across in my life. He always was assuring me that everything was going to be okay, and he found a way to fix every situation that arose in my life. I honestly would be lost without him.

I have had some very dark days since that fateful November, and he is the one to always come running with a flashlight to find me and bring me back into the light. When I find no hope in my life, he is the one who searches and finds it. He is my new inspiration, the person who has changed for the better.

My best friends have changed me, not my clothing, or attitude, but my perspective of life. They taught me to take any problem that arises and find the good in it. They taught me to look beyond the darkness. I believe in best friends can save you. I know mine have saved me.