Bad Things Happen to Good People

Bryan - South Boston, Massachusetts
Themes: illness

Bryan F Mrs. Wise

04-14-08 Period 4-5

You have probably seen a lot of movies where young mothers are trying to support their families working two jobs and you probably think that’s sad and it is, but when it comes to my case it’s a whole other story.

My name is Bryan D. F. and I was born with a disease called Sickle Cell. Sickle Cell is a disease that is mostly seen in African Americans. Peoples’ blood cells are round but people with Sickle Cell have banana shaped cells.

Sickle Cell causes you to have pain in the main body parts like the arms, legs and back. It also has other symptoms to many people with this disease have to have their spleen took out and their appendix. I have already had both of them taken out of me. I am only fifteen years old and I’ve already had four surgeries.

I believe that bad things happen to good people. For example I don’t think that I have done anything wrong other then telling a little white lie or getting angry at my parents and siblings but I still end up in the hospital every two weeks in major pain.

There are many kids who are bullies at school and where ever they go. There are also many kids who are in gangs and have even shot someone or have stolen from some one or someplace and still go home to a happy house. I don’t do any of that stuff and I suffer. That is an exact example of bad things happening to good people. There isn’t even a cure for this disease.

Now you may think that I have exaggerated in telling this story because there are other people who have it way worse then me like people with cancer and I agree I am not the kid who is suffering the most but I believe that I am definitely in that category. This is something that I have to live with for the rest of my life and it is very hard on me.

I have had to repeat the ninth grade due to my Sickle Cell. Last year is when two of my surgeries have taken place. I was out for four months last year because I was in the hospital. This year I believe that I have missed more then last year so I am a little worried that I might have to repeat the ninth grade for the second time.

It is very hard on my family because when I go to the hospital my mom can only visit me once a week and my Father and Sister cannot see me at all although I can talk to them on the phone. I do not like going days without seeing my family but it is just something that I really hate but have to live with for the rest of my life.