I Believe…

Ashley - South Boston, Massachusetts

Everyone says that as infants, toddlers, and teens we are the future. But the way I see things we don’t have a future.

We’re told that we don’t want to end up in some detention center, or in juvenile hall. That we need to go to school and get an education to succeed in life.

But school is like a prison, our different clicks are like different units, and if you don’t fit in its war.

School is now based on what hood you’re from and what flag you represent. Whether it’s red, blue, black or yellow. If one clicks feels threatened by the other, they take no murky. The do whatever means necessary to prove their selves. No matter what anyone tries to do it’s going to stay this way.

If your friends were about to get into trouble, and you could get them out of trouble by lying, or by blaming someone else, wouldn’t you? You’d be protecting them.

I believe that no matter the consequences you protect your people. You protect your own.

If red and blue were fighting, and red were Hispanics, and blue were African American; and I had to choose; id side with blue, because their people and by any means necessary I would protect them. Even if it means life or death; it’s my obligation not only to my people but too myself.

I was raised to fight. I was taught that my people come first and I come last. I was taught to always hold my head up and too never make myself too vulnerable.

When I was young instead of having the traditional “mother daughter” talk, my mother and I fought. I was to make me stronger, I had to prove myself, and I had too earn my respect. From then on, I realized why things are the way they are. Why people fight for their country. Why I fight for mine.

I don’t care if I’m judged, I no I’m doing the right thing, even if it hurts others. My people come first. I will protect my own.

I believe that this belief is in everyone. That everyone should protect their people. I know that I’m hurting people by this belief, and I no that if this belief continues in others, that were just leading our future, our children, and our children’s, children into destruction.

Some future.