I believe in having a best friend.

Benjamin - 43209, Ohio

I believe in having a best friend.

A best friend is not merely a want, annoyance or burden. A best friend is a necessity. I find it hard to believe that a human can go throughout life without having a best friend. I often find myself looking toward a crowd of people that I know, pairing each individual up with his or her best friend, but then I come across that one person, the sad face in the crowd who lacks a best friend, and I think to myself, “ How does he do it? How can he go through life without having a best friend? I would hate to be that guy.”

A friend once told me that I was dead wrong – a person doesn’t require a best friend. “Ben, it’s a fact. I don’t have a best friend and I’m turning out alright. A person just doesn’t need a best friend. Sometimes it’s a burden anyways.”

I mumbled under my breath, “A burden?”

I walked away from that conversation confused, asking myself over and over how my friend could not possess a best friend. This question haunted me. I had to get this question off my chest. I had to tell the world why I believe in having a best friend.

Everyone has friends. My friends are people I can see a movie with on occasion; talk to in the halls at school, go to the mall with, and do homework at starbucks together. However, the relationship I have with my best friend is on far different level than the relationships I have with any of my other friends.

He lives hundreds of miles away in Detroit. I see him five to six times a year and then spend my summers with him. Although we don’t get to see each other as often we like, the distance makes our friendship even stronger. I’d be lost without Yagil’s friendship. He has provided me with a tremendous amount of support over the years. Our fights last no longer than five minutes, our phone conversations last no less than an hour every night, if I’m ever feeling blue he’s always there to cheer me up, and his house feels like a second home to me. If I ever need to talk about a girl I know who to call, had a rough day at school, or had a fight with my parents, I know who to call and vice versa he knows who to call. Yagil is the only person I can fully open up to. We have a connection that goes beyond what two common friends share. His name is Yagil Tsaidi. He is my best friend.

Some people claim that they can have more than one best friend. Friends come and go throughout life, but best friends last forever. I feel a person must have that one best friend when he’s sitting back in a rocking chair in the nursing home, drinking prune juice and pureed food, with while adjusting hearing aids and telling stories from back in the day.

I can’t imagine my life without my best friend. It would be lonely, boring, and sad. Instead of looking forward to a refreshing call from my best friend who lives hundreds of miles away from me every night, I would perhaps only have late night Seinfeld reruns to look forward to. I need my best friend and I think everyone else in the world deserves a best friend. I dare anyone to challenge me with the claim that life is better without a best friend because I believe life without a best friend is plain and empty.