I Believe that I Always Have a Choice

Tim - Hooksett, New Hampshire

I believe that I always have a choice. This choice can pertain to anything, from something as simple as what to put on a sandwich, to something more serious, such as college decisions. Whatever the subject, the choice, I believe, always rightfully falls to me.

It may seem at times that certain pressures from sources outside, like society and the media, make my choices for me. I constantly get reminded of what the most popular clothes, stores, video games and other acceptable forms of entertainment are. This, however, is not the case. What I get from these sources is the most popular decision. Many people follow the most popular trend of society and never bother to think on their own about what they should wear, or where they should buy it. The only way to develop into my own unique person is if I make my decisions based on what I and only I think. Others’ opinions may help me to decide, but in the end I must make the choice. So, even when society or the media may tell me to do one thing, I believe that I can overcome the pressure to accept that these trends are final or ultimate.

There have been many times, especially in my junior year, when I was or will be required to make many serious choices regarding my future. When to visit colleges, when to take the SAT’s, when to study for the SAT’s, and if I should take SAT preparation classes are but a few examples of the choices I have either already made or will soon have to make. Perhaps my biggest and most difficult choice will concern where I go to college. Though I will take advice and accept help from my family and friends when picking the right college, ultimately this choice, as well as all of those other choices I mentioned earlier, will fall on me to make the final decision. These choices are too important for me to just ignore and let others make the decision for me.

One important decision that I made a short while ago was to not take classes for SAT preparation. My parents said I should really consider taking the classes, and I knew that many students had already signed up. However, I thought through the choice in my head. I had done well on both PSAT’s without studying at all. I knew I could always buy a practice test booklet at some point if I needed any help. Moreover, I knew that taking the class really would not improve my chances of doing any better than I normally would. Therefore, I decided not to take the SAT class. I will always have a choice in the matter, and though I should listen to the advice of others, I should not let others pressure me into making a choice that I would not normally make.