A little bit of everything

Samantha - Auburn, New Hampshire
Themes: humanism

I believe in having an opinion while also knowing when to give in. I believe in planning for the future but always living for today. I believe in dedicating my self to every activity I do but not solely devoting myself to one of them. It may seem as if I don’t truly believe in anything, but rather, I believe in a little bit of everything.

At 17, I don’t know much about who I am or what I one day will be; however, I’ve realized one life changing lesson by now, and that is to keep an open mind.

Throughout my life I’ve gone through many stages and beliefs. Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny dominated my pre-teen years. Later, I went through a stage where I believed in watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch and eating “fluffernutter” sandwiches every day. Once middle school came I believed that nothing mattered except getting the back of the bus. High school started after that and I spent my freshman year believing that there really was a “pool on the roof”. Now, as a junior, I no longer believe in any one of these; I believe in all of them.

I still believe in monsters under my bed. These monsters are no longer big and blue with dozens of arms, but they now stand for are all that I fear in my life. Concerns ranging from failing my next test to worrying about succeeding in life are constantly haunting me, like my childhood goblins. I am still a strong believer in Santa. I know he doesn’t stuff my stocking every Christmas Eve, but I still believe in his message of giving and the way he brings my family together.

When I was younger all I wanted to do was try new things. I believed that my life was only as good as the new and exciting adventures I took. Once I got older, I just wanted to return to the “good old days.” I believed that my life was too full of pressures and stresses and that I just needed to return to my carefree, easy life. Now, having gone through both of these times in my life, I’ve come to relate to each belief. I believe that keeping adventure in my life is always important, but I also believe in remembering the good times I’ve had.

With every new experience comes a new belief to add to my never ending collection, no matter how life-altering the belief may be. Most people see my belief that ice cream makes any situation better as being shallow, but to me every belief is equal. I believe in God just as strongly as I believe that wearing my pajamas inside-out doesn’t affect my chance of having a snow day. Keeping my mind open to new beliefs and never letting go of my old ones is my main priority.

I believe in a little bit of everything and that “everything” is growing bigger every day.