Tatiana - san jose, California

This I Believe…

I believe in accomplishment, satisfaction, and staying ahead of the game. I believe to never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today. Growing up I was always one to procrastinate everything. I would wait until the eleventh hour to do something I was instructed to do a few days or even a week earlier. Time and time again I would find myself up at those disturbingly late hours of the night until the gloomy early hours of the morning trying desperately to finish a project or organize something to make my day somewhat less hectic. The end result was usually a thrown together effort or sometimes I’d get lucky with something somewhat presentable. Needless to say, my work was not up to the satisfaction of others and most importantly, myself. Procrastination was a bad habit I had picked up and held onto for a long time like an addiction.

One night while I was frantically trying to finish my Science-palooza project, a passage in the book I was researching caught my eye. It stated “Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today.” The author was Benjamin Franklin. Since he was indeed a credible source, I decided then and there to change for the better and be everyday inspired by those words.

I began to organize and prioritize my life. I did assignments well before they were due so I would have time to take pride in my work and wouldn’t have the stress of putting it off. Everyday became more and more productive. Getting things done would clear my mind, schedule and lower my blood pressure. My stress level declined as did my intake of caffeinated beverages. I could actually sleep at night; yes, there was actually a purpose for having a bed in my room. In a way I had gone through a sort of metamorphosis from a lazy, too laid back girl, into an organized, happier, more productive and outgoing young woman.

Now when my piers ask for my secret to success, I just reply with, “There is no secret, I just never leave that till tomorrow which I can do today.”