I believe in the power of music

Jackie - Bowling Green, Kentucky

“This I Believe”

I believe in the power of music. I believe that music is so powerful that it can change your life with just one song. I believe music has the healing power for all things. No matter the problem, the issue, the illness, or the feeling. The power of music can help over come anything.

The things that I have been through in my life are all examples of the healing power of music. I honestly believe if it had not been for music I couldn’t have made it through the trials and tribulations of my life.

The first time I can remember feeling that music had helped change my life was during my parents divorce. The songs “Don’t Worry Be Happy” and “Parents Just Don’t Understand” came on back to back and I felt like the songs understood what I was feeling. It seemed as though the songs were written for me, to let me know that there was nothing I could do about the situation, and to just be happy.

I remember going through my first divorce and feeling so alone. I remember thinking to myself “What am I going to tell my little girl? How am I going to get us through all of this?” Then I heard the song “Just the Two of Us” and I felt as if that was all I needed to hear. The most powerful sense of calmness came over me and I knew as long as it was just the two of us, we would be just fine.

Although I am not a musician, or a great singer, I believe that the healing power of music can be heard and felt by all. I believe that music makes the pain of the world seem fixable. I believe the power of music in any language can be felt by anyone even if the lyrics are not clear. The power of the music goes straight to the soul, whether it can be heard or just by feeling the vibration of the music.

Therefore as I feel the rhythm of the music move through my body, I feel my muscles tighten and my body begins to sway back and forth. That is the power of music. I believe no matter the song, no matter the rhythm, no matter the language, the power of the music will move everyone, if not in body then deep in my soul. Music, just like talking, will always be a way of communication. Music to me is as important as the air I breaths and the loved ones I hold dear, because I believe in the healing power of music. I believe that the power of music can help you overcome any obstacle you may face, whether good or bad, the power of music makes it just right!