This I believe in Competitive sports

Drew - Martinez, California
Themes: children, sports

This I believe in athletic competition

I believe athletic competition is important for all children to have. Some of my first memories are of my brother and I playing soccer in the living room, being the younger brother I never stood much of a chance. As I grew I started playing basketball, one of my triumphs of childhood was winning our CYO leagues championship in 4th grade. I remember going to pizza hut afterwards playing on the videogames with my teammates, running over to the juke box and finding we are the champions on it with everyone else, making the staff turn up the volume. The competition bonded us together. But competition is not just about winning, sometimes you lose but you just have to learn from these mistakes practice and get better for the next time you play. As the younger brother I can probably count on my hand the number of times I have beaten my brother. Joe was a division one college basketball player, I was a high school reserve but occasionally I would win and those few wins far outweigh the losses. My brother and my relationship is based on all things competition. Not a day goes by that we don’t challenge each other in something whether it is a game of pickup basketball, tennis, or video games. Sports have helped me become the man I am today; in my decade of playing team sports I learned how to be a team player. This is something I can use in my future jobs. In my six years of tennis I learned how to motivate myself when there was no one else to help me, to strive on my own to be the best. Competition is a great foundation for youth to become socialized, learn from there mistakes and overall make them a better person for it.