Children make the world go around

Dawn - Levering, Michigan

Children make the world go around

I believe in my children. Every day is an adventure with them from the time they awake, until they go to bed. I believe each one will succeed in whatever they choose to do and I will be there to help them through anything.

My daughter has held several jobs, prior to checking into joining the military. To better help her make the decision to join the United States Army, I took her to a friend’s funeral, who was killed in Iraq. I wanted her to see what the reality could be before she enlisted. A year has passed since she enlisted. In her spare time she is also going to college. Recently we have learned she will be receiving a medical discharge. She will be home within four to six months. I still believe she will straighten things out.

My oldest son has been working for the same company for the last four years, has chosen to go on to college and will graduate with honors. He really stepped up and realized that he needed a better education to get a good paying job. He has decided to be a prison guard. He will need to take the state exam and apply for the academy in May. This type of job makes me nervous. We have friends that are guards, and they have explained how to best deal with inmates, to make it be as safe as possible. I believe he will do his best to be a decent corrections officer.

My youngest son, who is ADHD, which makes him unable to stay on task. I believe in him. He has already shown improvement with staying in control, with no more destroying of property because of being upset. He’s helping out more and more at home without having to be asked. Since, he struggles in school. I give up a lot of my study time and personal time to meet with teachers and be available for him. I have his special education teacher on speed dial. I can usually tell if he is going to have a good or bad day’s. So I can let the teachers know. We have discussed the possibility of selling my home and quitting my job and moving to a new area that maybe better equipped to help him succeed. I believe he will change things around, if he just would believe more in himself.

I believe in my children. In turn helps them to believe in themselves.

As my dad used to say, “even when the screw at the back of the head falls loose and slowly works its way back in I will always believe in my children, to work through the rough times and bad decisions.”

I will always believe in my children, and will do whatever I can to help them succeed in life.