Ivy - Norman, Oklahoma
Themes: birth, parenthood

I believe there is no greater experience than becoming a mother. Labor began at 6:45am through hours of contractions I had my daughter at 9:18 that night. I went to the hospital at 11am that day and found out I was 3cm dilated. They gave me a shot for the pain and to hopefully stop the contractions, they assured me that it would probably be another week before I delivered. When I got home I tried to get some rest but my contractions had not stopped, in fact they were getting worse and closer together. My mother kept telling me to breathe through them, but that didn’t seem to help. We were timing the contractions all that day and they seemed to be very irregular. My mother being from the “old school” believed that we shouldn’t go back to the hospital until my contractions were consistently 5 minutes apart. Around 7pm my contractions were so intense that I couldn’t stand, I was lying on the floor curled up in the fetal position moaning in pain. My mother still didn’t want to take me back yet., she thought I was over exaggerating. Finally I begged her to take me to the hospital, so we got dressed and left. It was like a scene from a movie, my mother telling me to breathe, me groaning in pain, and my step- father driving 90mph on the highway. My mother kept telling him to slow down, that I wasn’t in that much pain… but I disagreed. When we got to the hospital the doctor came in, surprised to see me, and checked me. I had dilated to 10cm!! It was game time now. They rushed me back to the birthing rooms, It was already to late for me to receive any pain killers. I felt like a dying patient in the E.R., 8-10 nurses were in the room strapping stuff to me, sticking me with needles, asking me questions, and giving me papers to sign. Within 45 minutes my daughter was born. After she came out they placed her on my chest, I couldn’t hold back, all I could do was cry. It was a scene, I was crying, she was crying, and my mother was crying. After they cleaned her and moved us to another room I got to spend alone time with her. I couldn’t stop staring at her, I was overprotective already. I was constantly worrying if she was alright, I couldn’t take my eyes off of her. I’ve been around small babies before but the feeling is totally different when the baby is yours. Having her was the greatest thing that has ever happened to me.