The “Signs” Around Us

Pamela - Gulfport, Mississippi

Ever since I can remember, I have dreamed of becoming a nurse. After finishing high school, I started taking classes at the local community college. Things did not go quite as I had planned. I was young, barely eighteen; boyfriends and parties were my priorities. I did not intend to drop out of college, but that is exactly what happened. I worked several different jobs from selling audio and video equipment, to managing a restaurant, and finally, to working for a major airline. All along, still wishing I had completed college and become a nurse.

Eventually, I married my best friend from high school. His career in the military enabled us to live in several different countries around the world for a period of nine years. We have had two beautiful girls, and being a mother has been my “job” for the past fourteen years. I had succumbed to the fact that I was never going to fulfill my dream of being a nurse, which I told myself was fine, because I was a mother and a wife, and I was content with that. A few years ago we moved back to the U.S., and have since, become quite comfortable with staying put. Thoughts of becoming a nurse kept running through my mind.

Shortly after settling down, I began to meet some of our neighbors. My girls also met several children in the neighborhood. I learned, after a few weeks, two of my neighbors were nurses. I wished I was them. A few years have gone by since then, and in the past year or so several “signs” have made their presence, as if something was trying to tell me something. For instance, one of the soccer moms from my daughter’s team is an emergency room nurse, with whom I have had many question and answer sessions. Again, wishing I was a nurse. Another “sign” I noticed, was when my next door neighbor started nursing school, and she began telling me details about her lessons of the day. I listened with a jealous ear. Finally, the “sign” that turned things around, was when a good friend came to visit with his new girlfriend for a weekend. She was in her second semester of nursing school. We talked for two days straight about nursing. I could not believe it. How could it be possible that I was meeting all these women, who were either nurses or becoming nurses? I believe I was being given “signs” I should not ignore; I was to start school.

So now, at forty one, a mother and a wife, I am enrolled at my local community college, working on becoming the nurse I have always dreamed about, and hopefully, a long rewarding career. I believe the “signs” are all around us, we just need to pay attention to them.