A Child Becoming an Adult

Heather - Puyallup, Washington
Themes: family, illness, work

Looking back at my life, I cannot think of a time when I was able to experience a “real childhood”. For me it was like having to run before I was able to crawl or walk. What happens to the children that must be adults once they actually become adults? How does their life differ from the adults that were able to experience a childhood? Why to children have to be adults at such a young age? I believe that having to be an adult at the age of ten has can have an enormous impact on someone’s life, and those who are lucky enough to never have to experience it will never truly understand.

When I was ten, my mom got really sick. She had to go to the hospital and she underwent two major surgeries. I was left to take care of my four year old bother and all the household duties. It would be a lot of most people, let alone a ten year old. My mom was the soul provider for our family so when she was in the hospital we lost everything. As soon as she was out of the hospital she had to return and start working to save what little we had left. So I was left at home continuing to run things on the home front. As time went on, it all seemed to be normal to me. I soon realized that all the other kids my age never had to do any of the things I had to do. They got to live so carefree. All of my friends couldn’t understand why I could play after school, or go to birthday parties.

Today, things have not changed much. Now I am seventeen and take care of my brother who is now eleven. As I have gotten older there have been more and more responsibilities placed upon my shoulders. It is hard not being able to go out and do the “teenage” things, but it something you just have to get over. Sometimes I look at the kids in my school and I am glad I have all the responsibilities I have. Because maybe if I didn’t, I would get caught up in all the bad things that teens do. Instead of going attending parties on Friday and Saturday nights, I go to work. I think that kids today don’t really know what responsibility is. And to me, it is kind of sad because they will not know what to do or how to act when it comes to entering the real world.

Childhood is an important time in any person’s life, and if you spend your childhood having to be an adult, I believe, that it will from you into a responsible adult with a great character. Things that you might be upset about missing out on at the time will in the end be nothing compared to all the great things you have accomplish. It is sad to me that some people will never understand the true meaning of responsibility. They will never have to work for things they want and will always have things handed to them. That is not living. How can you feel joy over something it there was no work in getting it. The best things in life to not come easy, you have to work to get them.