A Wonderful Mother

Thomas - 49721, Michigan

The most wonderful mother

It was not until the day I meet Tasha and her two wonderful boys, that my eyes where opened to what it truly means to be a single mother. You see up until this point I was living in the past with the belief that being a single mother was a bad thing. I must say that she changed my life and my way of thinking.

As our relationship grew, so did my understanding of a mother’s love for her kids. Tasha, a young mother of only twenty-two, is in the middle of a nasty divorce. With no help from the father of her children, she is forced to do most of the work on her own. She works long hours and comes home to her little ones to play the role of both mommy and daddy. She makes their dinner, baths, bedtime stories, plays with them, and then tucks them in bed for the night. She is the kind of mother I wish I had growing up.

It was my involvement with Tasha and her boys that made me start to look at single mothers in America. I was surprised to learn that twenty-five percent of American kids are raised in single parent homes. I would never have guessed that the number of single parent homes would be so high.

According to some research done by Trish Wilson in 2002, children raised by single mothers are eight times more likely to go to prison, thirty-two times more likely to run away, and seventy-two percent more likely to have a lower standard of living.

So if this is the case, who do we blame? If you read some of the reports I have read, they tend to point a finger at the mother. I however, do not agree with that. It is my opinion that the true blame rest on the father, the man that was supposed to be there from the start. Being a single mother is not the problem, but the lack of a father interest in their children is.

So I hope that more people take notice it what it truly means to be a single other and that people tell a single mother what a good job she is doing.

As for me I believe that single mothers are the unsung heroes that do not get the respect that they deserve.