Beatriz - San Jose, California

What does it mean to believe? To believe is to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so. In other words, to believe means that you can believe in something without having any real proof that what you believe in is right. I believe in a lot of things such as there is someone out there for everyone, money can’t buy happiness, love will always find its way, or even words can hurt. I can relate to all of them but the only one I have experienced is miracles can happen. I believe miracles can happen because of what happened to my dad when he underwent bypass surgery.

My dad used to smoke all the time every day. He smoked a certain number of packs a day whenever he got a chance; I guess you could have called him a chain smoker. He also ate badly. Because of that, he had blocked arteries, which resulted in a heart disease. After he had several appointments with the doctor, he was scheduled to undergo bypass surgery in January of 2006. During the surgery, his heart had stopped. The surgeons had to resuscitate him. After the first time, he didn’t come back to life. So they resuscitated him again. It was the second time that brought him back to life. His heart had only stopped for about almost 1 minute. My family and I cried not only because his heart stopped and there was a good chance that he could have died but also because he survived this bypass surgery. And that to me is a miracle. It’s reflective to me because he’s my dad and the only man I can really trust in my life. If he weren’t here right now, I wouldn’t have that fatherly figure with me anymore and every daughter needs that. It’s also a miracle that he’s here today because, depending on the situation, not a lot of people survive resuscitation and I thank God that He brought my dad back to where he belongs and that’s with his wife and daughters.

To believe means to believe in something without having any real proof that what you believe in is right. Miracles happen once in a while when you believe. Albert Einstein once said: “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle”. Basically I think this quote is saying that you either believe in them or you don’t. A lesson I learned from this experience is to love your loved ones unconditionally because you never know when they can get taken away from you, whether it is death that takes them away or someone else. Another lesson I learned is to forget. I wish to forget this experience because it scared me so much that I don’t want to ever think about it because I feel that if I think about it, it can happen again and I don’t think I can afford to go through it again. It’s good to forget some things in life depending on the situation and this is one I want to forget.