Why Cigarettes Should Be Banned

Dorinda - Gulfport, Missouri
Themes: illness

This I believe -that the unhealthiness of tobacco is a very dangerous drug, and smoking around other people could seriously danger their lives as well as your.

My aunt was only sixty-eight years of age, and she looked to be in her eighties. She could hardly get around, or do things on her own. She gradually started deteriorate , and I had to move in with her, just to take care of her, because she had gotten so bad, that any day she could pass away. She has been in and out of hospitals. She finally had to have a breathing machine to breathe, but she did not want to give up cigarettes. As two years had passed, she went to the emergency room one last time. She is hooked up to a lot of machines. One machine to keep her heart stable; one machine to keep her breathing; and another machine pumping morphine into her veins. I believe that if she would have quit smoking when the doctor told her to, she would be here today.

My father was only seventy years of age when he passed away. He looked to be in his late eighties. His bones were getting to were he could not move any more. He had cancer in his throat that he had to get radiation to get the cancer, but the doctors also told him that he had to give up smoking. But he did not want to do that; because he believed that he had nothing else to occupy his time. Especially after I moved away and he had nobody to hang around with. He got to were he would not do any thing. But of course, he was wrong; he has seven children who all adore him, and many grandchildren, who loved him dearly. I was his first daughter after having three boys’, so I really got spoiled and loved him so much. We used to go out on Monday’s and go to lunch, go grocery shopping, or go to movies. I would try to convince him to stop smoking, but he would tell me that he would rather die than to give up smoking. Guess what! He did. He died on September 9th 2008 from cancer of the esophagus and was on feeding tubes, but the doctors could not stop the bleeding in his lungs. He lived in Houston, TX and I live in Gulfport, MS, and I had to rush to the hospital to see him, because I just had the feeling that it would be the last time that I would see him alive again.

These are two members of my family that died of tobacco, and were too stubborn to listen to anybody about the effects that smoking could cause. Cancer just does not run in my family, exceptions for the cigarette smoking. I smoked for fifteen years and started to feel ill, and coughed a lot. I got to where I could hardly breathe and couldn’t do the activities, that I used to do; and I was only thirty years old. So I quit smoking, and you know; I started filling back to normal. I could breathe again, food tasted fresher, my energy level sky rocketed to where I couldn’t keep still, and my appearance looked so much better. Not only that, I found out what cigarettes were made of. I believe if everybody was aware of all the poisons, and chemicals that made cigarettes; they would not smoke. Second hand smoke is just as unhealthy as smoking a cigarette themselves, only not as bad.