Everyday Hero

Michael - Alanson, Michigan

Everyday Hero

I believe that you don’t need to wear a letter S on your shirt or be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, to be a hero. I have a different way to define hero. To me a hero is someone who puts others first before him or herself. A hero goes out of his/her way to help, protect and guide others from harm or losses.

My in-laws are heroes to me. They not only help me and my family, but they go out of their way to help others, too. My mother-in-law helps by watching my kids while my wife and I work and go to school. My father-in-law helps me with fixing cars and doing homework. Their door is always open for anyone who needs a meal or just wants to sit down and talk. They have been known to let their kids’ friends live at their house when they had no other place to go. They give to the community whether it’s time, money, or food to Father Dan’s Food Pantry. Even though they are very busy, they’re always right there to give advice, or share their experiences without judgment.

Another hero of mine is every man and women serving in the military in Iraq or Afghanistan. Every day they risk their lives to protect us and give us freedom from terrorists. We all take our freedom for granted, except those serving overseas in the war. In Iraq and Afghanistan, a soldier’s mind doesn’t have a wide range of everyday goals. They believe in freedom and staying alive. You won’t see them going to the bars or sitting down in their lazy-boys reading newspapers, or watching television. They sacrifice their time and life so we can have freedom.

When parents provide love and guidance for their kids, they are also heroes in my book. Whether it’s a man or woman, their kids should mean everything in the world to them, and money, time and guidance is all part of it. Therefore, parents combine all the traits of a hero; they go out of their way and protect their kids, and that is what life is all about. Myself, I hug and kiss my kids as much as I can. I do know that life is too short and they grow up so fast, and before you know it, they are parenting too.

I believe I have a responsibility not just to those I know and love, but also to those I would never know, to seek them out and say thank you for being my hero.