christie - sj, California

I believe in Karma, and the overused, sometimes cliché saying, “What goes around, comes around.” I believe something you do, whether good or bad will somehow affect you in the future. I believe in the unintentional things in life; meaning I think that you can hurt someone or do something unintentionally and it will come back around no matter what.

As a teenager in high school relationships are hard to keep, hard to trust another person when you are at such a naive age; many times you don’t even trust yourself. My first time falling “in love” was the summer before my senior year in high school. I enjoyed every minute with him and I tried so hard not to listen or believe him when he said, “I love you” for fear I might be hurt. There were never times when I would think about my past relationships; I never thought my past would have a vengeance on me. I never thought breaking up my past relationships and hurting the other person would directly affect me. Within five months I fell in love with him and in an instant he took it all away. “It’s just bad timing,” I think was the excuse; “You were the best girlfriend I ever had,” he told me over and over. That night our whole relationship flashed before my eyes and I recall driving home in tears. I couldn’t help but wonder what I had done wrong; until it occurred to me that this was such a perfect guy he had to be telling the truth. Everything was so good, there couldn’t have been something wrong; it was just karma making its way around to me as a result of the many people I had hurt in my life.

The pain I felt, loneliness I had obtained, and the heartbreak I still carry makes me think about my past and how I could be so selfish or maybe overconfident that I would never be “dumped.” I had that cocky attitude, never flaunting it or intentionally thinking it, but I just thought I was above that whole thing. Sitting in bed those following nights I realized that karma was just doing its thing. I learned hurting someone or doing something, even if it is unintentional comes back to you. I laugh thinking back to when I was younger and my teachers would state, “The Golden Rule” explaining that you should treat others the way you want to be treated. If you could just follow that simple rule I am sure karma would work in your favor.

I have experienced karma in my life many times. I never notice the good karma though, partly because when I do good things I do not do them to get something in return. I believe what goes around does come back around and I think it’s just a way of scaling out the fairness in the world. People shouldn’t be able to get away with hurting people, and people who do good things should be rewarded. I believe in karma from my experiences in life and even if others disagree it is something I believe and no one can take that away from me.