I believe people are born with goodness

Chia-Chun - Mishawaka, Indiana

I believe people are born with goodness. There are two theories that argue about human nature in ancient Chinese philosophy: Mencius (372BC—289BC) believes that human nature is good; Hsun Tzu (313BC—238BC) believes that human nature is innately flawed. Nowadays, many people set up institutions to help others, such as orphanages, the Red Cross, and World Vision. Regardless of nationality or race, these international institutions assist people who need help all over the world; they are not afraid of the torrid weather or the lack of goods and materials in order to act on a course such as to give medical assistance and offer daily needs to African countries. My aunt is a devout Catholic and she is also a volunteer instructor at a reformatory in my hometown. Every Saturday she goes to the reformatory and gives the students guidance and assistance. When I was a high school student, I went to the reformatory with her for several months. She neither preached to the students of the reformatory nor blamed them for when they did something wrong; on the country, she tried to understand the background of every student and to talk to them patiently in order to know why those students made mistakes and what they needed. I remember the youngest student at the reformatory with his eyes filled with hatred and resentment towards the world; I was shocked. I never saw such a young person filled with such a strong negative feeling; those negative thoughts shouldn’t have existed in his mind, he should have kept his smile like other children his age. I wanted to understand how and why he lost his innocence. So, I went to say hi to him and asked him some questions, but he didn’t say anything. Until my aunt and I went home, the little boy didn’t join the game and didn’t speak a word; he just sat quietly in the corner of the classroom. On the way home, my aunt told me that the little boy lived with his grandmother, his father was an alcoholic and his mother ran away because she couldn’t endure his father’s violence. On the second week, I brought a puppy for him that day and told him that he should take care of the puppy and feed it, and then I went away. On that day, I saw him gently feeding the puppy; I knew he had a good heart. Therefore, I brought the puppy to the reformatory and asked him to take care of that puppy every week. Gradually, he opened his mind and his eyes no longer contained hatred. His grandmother was so happy to see him change. Now the little boy is a college student and he is majoring in education; he told me that he wants to be a teacher. So, I believe that people are born with goodness.