My BIG advantage

Howard - Hackensack, New Jersey

Usually, the LARGER the problem the more intractable it seems. When it comes to the issue of obesity however, BIGGER is not necessarily a disadvantage.

We all know someone, perhaps staring at us in the mirror, who wants to lose weight.It may be those last stubborn 10 pounds or the 30 pounds added over 10 years.

We also see obese and morbidly obese people everyday and assume that these people have the HUGHEST task ahead of them. My experience shows this is not the FULL truth.

I believe that the obese and morbidly obese population, of which I have been a long-standing member, have an AMPLE advantage in dealing with weight, one that the ‘I want to lose 20 pounds’ crowd misses.

The GRANDEST problem with losing weight is sustainability. We love seeing the scale move and our bodies become smaller. We flourish in denying the instant gratification that comes with indulgent eating. However, the IMMENSE truth is that we love food.

Not the food that sustains our health, controls our weight and builds our self-esteem, but the food that makes us happy in the moment: the aromatic, crunchy, mouthwatering, salty, sweet, lipid stuff that feeds our souls, senses and emotions.

The only slightly CHUNKY confronts that dilemma everyday they diet and usually succumbs at some point, leaving their bodies with that hateful 10 or 30 pounds, stomachs not quite flat, the hips a bit too expansive, the gluteus PLUMPER than desired.

We the morbidly obese, face no such dilemma. We can have our cake and literally eat it too, chocolate, cheese and seven-layer, that being the only benefit of our PORCINE physiques.

When you are morbidly obese, any change in the way you use food produces some physical result. It is not easy being ROTUND. It takes an ENORMOUS amount of energy to feed that FLESHY furnace and maintain that BROBDINGNAGIAN aspect.

Therefore, the obese person can begin using food more productively. He can dip a TUBBY toe in the pool of healthy eating, place one INFLATED foot on the path towards using food in balance, and because of the EXORBIDANT demands of his HUMONGOUS body, see results.

The scale moves, the body changes, breathing improves, blood-sugar levels stabilize, character builds and all the while the BUTTERBALL never has to face the dieter’s dilemma because he is still eating the food he loves and dare we say-needs.

Unlike the merely overweight dieters, we BEEFY BLIMPS can engage a subtle, sustainable process of change and enjoy the journey while making progress in our behavior.

Therefore, the person with the seemingly intractable problem really has an EXTRAVAGANT, EXPANSIVE, EXORBIDANT and EXCESSIVE advantage over the rest of the merely overweight population.

As they say, every cloud in the shape of a CAPACIOUS, COLLOSAL, COPIOUS, BLIMP, has a TWO-TON silver lining.