Music

Mark - Monson, Massachusetts

I believe that music should play a significant role in everyone’s life. Everybody should listen to music because it brings people together. Music is a way that people can express themselves; their moods, their ways of life, their beliefs, anything can be conveyed through music. Whether it is dancing, playing, or listening to music, it should be a part of everybody’s life.

As a child, I followed my dad around and did pretty much everything that he did. I would walk around in the kitchen while he was cooking, pretending to help without actually doing anything at all. When we were in the car, he would put the radio to classic rock. I felt that I got closer to my dad the more I listened to his music. Now, when I get in the car, it is easy for him and me to break the barrier that most teenagers have with their parents about picking a radio station, because we like the same music. This made conversations between my dad and me much easier as I grew up.

When I was in the 6th grade, I know a kid who told me that he did not listen to music. I asked him what he did in the car or waiting in the doctor’s office; he told me that he just kind of sat there. To put it simply, the kid was pretty dull. He did not have a lot of friends because, at that time of a person’s life, a lot of things depend on what type of music one listens to. The type of music that I listen to now is the same as the type that I listened to in 6th grade. It gave me a lot of friends that I had at the time, and still have today. We all listened to the same music; therefore we had a lot to talk about. Most of what I did was play soccer, listen to music, skateboard, and just kind of hang around.

Now, there are people who listen to a little of everything, and others who listen to only a certain type of music. In high school, dances are the place to be on weekends, and so are parties. There, people are able to listen to music and dance along while mingling with others. Teenagers talk about bands, concerts, and new music coming out at the time. It is a social tool that many adolescents use to become closer to their peers. With the new technology allowing people to have more than 20 songs with them at all times, people are listening to more and more music.

Music has shaped the world. There are different cultures with different sounds. Music helps to put people into certain moods, and for the artists, it is a way for them to express themselves like the never thought possible. I believe that music is vital to growing up because not only is it sounds put together into harmony, it is a way of life.